Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:51:01 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> differently from what it's said in section 1.3.2.1 of the manual,
>> AUCTeX never suggests to run makeindex when needed.  Does someone know
>> how can we check whether we need to run makeindex?  The .idx file is
>> rewritten after every latex run, so it's useless to look to its
>> modification time, and no warning is emitted by the compiler.
>
> BTW, it just occurred to me that I got this warning when compiling my
> document:
>
> LaTeX Warning: Index entries may have changed. While keeping the aux-files
> rerun
>  both LaTeX and makeindex to get index entries right.
>
> This is with LuaLaTeX, though.

Uh, that's interesting, but I don't get that warning in this document

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex{}
\begin{document}
foo\index{foo}
\printindex{}
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-engine: luatex
%%% End:

Looking on the Internet for "Index entries may have changed." I found
only this thread:
http://de.comp.text.tex.narkive.com/glNYInu1/index-mit-automatischer-eindeutigkeitsmachung
Does it say something to you? ;-)