Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:57:33 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>> which record the md5 hashes of idx files and whether they changed
>> after a LaTeX run.
>
> Why two alists and not just one with (FILE MD5 CHANGED) entries?

Uhm, I think that would be a bit awkward: `TeX-run-TeX' updates md5
hash without touching the changed status, instead `TeX-LaTeX-sentinel'
and `TeX-run-index' update the changed status without touching the
hash.  That's why I kept those alists separated, but I can try to
merge them anyway.

>> A note about the fact I used alists instead of local variables for
>> `TeX-idx-md5-alist' and `TeX-idx-changed-alist'.  I first thought to
>> set local variables in idx files, but we need to open those files and
>> hope the user won't kill them.  Another possibility would be to set
>> those variables locally in output buffer since `TeX-command-default'
>> already requires that buffer to be still alive, but it seems local
>> variables are killed there before running a command.  My last choice
>> has been to use a global alist.  Does someone have better idea about
>> how to store md5 hash and the information about status of idx file?
>
> Storing them buffer-locally in the master file's buffer would also work,
> no?

Yes, but there is the same shortcoming as storing the variable locally
in idx file: the buffer shouldn't be killed, and as far as I know we
don't require master file's buffer to be always alive.