Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:27:35 +0200

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Why two alists and not just one with (FILE MD5 CHANGED) entries?
>>
>> Uhm, I think that would be a bit awkward: `TeX-run-TeX' updates md5
>> hash without touching the changed status, instead `TeX-LaTeX-sentinel'
>> and `TeX-run-index' update the changed status without touching the
>> hash.
>
> I don't see why this would be awkward.

Because in order to update only part of the alist (only md5 or changed
status) I have to record the other one beforehand.  `setcdr' comes in
handy in this case, but can be used only if the entry to be changed
already exists, otherwise I'd need to use push as it is now.  This
adds a bit of complexity.

> But another alternative was not
> to have the notion of CHANGED at all but to store entries of the form
> (FILE CURRENT-MD5 PREV-MD5).  Then only `TeX-run-TeX' has to
>
>   (setcdr entry (list new-md5 (cadr entry)))
>
> and nowhere else has the alist (or another one) to be modified.
>
>> That's why I kept those alists separated, but I can try to merge them
>> anyway.
>
> I actually don't have a strong opinion on this so feel free to keep it
> the way it is.

I'd prefer to stick with the current implementation for the time
being, it could be improved in the future.  What I prefer right now is
to have a somewhat good logic to determine when makeindex needs to be
run.

You can find attached the refreshed patch (probably only `TeX-idx-*'
have been renamed), if there are no other comments I'll install it
later today or tomorrow.