Re: [AUCTeX-devel] amsrefs support in reftex

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] amsrefs support in reftex
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:27:57 +0200

Hi Marcin,

> Hi all,
>
> I'd very much welcome amsrefs support in reftex.  I understand that it's
> some/a lot of work, and I'm willing to contribute some time to it (I
> don't have a lot of time this semester, but the next one will be much
> better).  I'm currently in the process of sorting out the copyright
> assignment to the FSF, too.
>
> The problem is that reftex's code is nearly incomprehensible.  Many
> functions do not have docstrings at all, for instance.  (Also, I get the
> feeling that the code really could use some refactoring - this I could
> help a bit with, too.)

I'm really happy I'm not the only one having difficulties with
understanding RefTeX' code!  RefTeX is great, provides tons of useful
features, but I find AUCTeX' code much much easier to read.

> So, my question is:  Where should I start reading reftex's code to be
> able to start working on amsrefs support?

Your help would be very welcome.  I'm not familiar with amsrefs.  What
kind of features if offers?  How do you plan to add support in RefTeX?