Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Master file set with "%% Master:" at the beginning of

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Master file set with "%% Master:" at the beginning of the file
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:32:06 +0100

On 2015-11-19, at 00:07, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I don't know how many of you knew that in AUCTeX the master file can
> be also set with the line
>
>     %% Master: file.tex
>
> at the beginning of the file.  I didn't, for one, until a few minutes
> ago.  This feature has been introduced («under protest!») in 1994 and
> marked to be phased out later.  I'm writing to you just to let you
> know that this feature, deprecated more than 20 years ago, has been
> now completely removed.  I hope none of you will miss it.

What was the rationale behind the deprecation/removal?  Does any other
editor support that?  If yes, it /might/ be a good idea to restore this.

(BTW, TeXworks - which is kind of "official" TeX editor nowadays -
supports its own set:
http://www.texdev.net/2011/03/24/texworks-magic-comments/ .  It /might/
be a good idea to support those, too.)

> Bye,