Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Master file set with "%% Master:" at the beginning of

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Master file set with "%% Master:" at the beginning of the file
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 17:04:57 +0100

Hi Marcin,

> On 2015-11-19, at 00:07, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I don't know how many of you knew that in AUCTeX the master file can
>> be also set with the line
>>
>>     %% Master: file.tex
>>
>> at the beginning of the file.  I didn't, for one, until a few minutes
>> ago.  This feature has been introduced («under protest!») in 1994 and
>> marked to be phased out later.  I'm writing to you just to let you
>> know that this feature, deprecated more than 20 years ago, has been
>> now completely removed.  I hope none of you will miss it.
>
> What was the rationale behind the deprecation/removal?

Removal of old code that probably no one was aware of, it was
documented nowhere, and marked as obsolete two decades ago.

>  Does any other
> editor support that?  If yes, it /might/ be a good idea to restore this.

Not that I'm aware of, at least not with that syntax.  Other editors
don't bother to support AUCTeX's local variables (which came long
before any other TeX editor I know was even conceived), should we
support theirs? [1]

> (BTW, TeXworks - which is kind of "official" TeX editor nowadays -
> supports its own set:
> http://www.texdev.net/2011/03/24/texworks-magic-comments/ .  It /might/
> be a good idea to support those, too.)

TeXworks has "!TeX *", TeXshop has "!TeX TS-*", TeXstudio has "!TeX
TXS-*" (but should also support the other syntax) and it's also
somewhat more advanced than other editors as you can set the
bibliography engine as well, also using yet another syntax ("!BIB
program = *").  Should we support all of them?  As a side note, you
can see in the comments that someone did ask for supporting AUCTeX's
local variables, but the answer was «not many AucTeX users are likely
to want to switch to TeXworks».  The problem of course is not about
users switching editors but sharing documents.

Note:
[1]  Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying "we are the best, we shall
not mix with the others!!1!", but in this regard there is no
cooperation from other editors, and I'm not going to undertake this
task.