Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:01:05 +0100

>    > Hi Uwe,
>    > 2015-12-16 12:20 GMT+01:00 Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>:
>
>    > She refers to the source code font-locking, not the final document
>    > output.  Come on, this is the mailing list of AUCTeX (and the linked
>    > question was fairly clear), it wasn't too difficult to guess ;-)
>
> Ok I usually never follow links :'( (or I did not configure emacs
> properly, because always he starts a new firefox/seamonkey instead using
> the running one)

Which function do you use to follow link?  `browse-url' does the right
thing for me.

>    > Anyway, AUCTeX holds the list of known bibliography items in
>    > `LaTeX-bibitem-list', but I'm not expert enough of font-locking to
>    > implement this feature without some hints.
>
> Ah, but that would mean scan the bib file, the way reftex-citation does
> it?!

AUCTeX can fill this variable even without RefTeX.

> If that is the idea how often should the bib file be scanned? Every time
> you insert a cite, that scan function would be called?

`LaTeX-bibitem-list' is a variable.

> I still have difficulties with that scenario:
>
> I run reftex-citation and he looks up the data base, either the ref is
> there or it is not, in which case I use the excellent bibretrieve
> package to insert it into the data base. So usually I am not faced with
> that problem.

The fact that you don't need it doesn't mean nobody else can need this
feature.  In addition, you may need to read code with wrong references
written by someone else (it happened to me last week, BTW).