Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Changing TeX-doc?

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Changing TeX-doc?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:41:11 +0100

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi Sean,

>> Of course, another option is to make an enhancement to texdoc (the ultimate
>> tool) to provide a list of these 'keys' for completion's sake. A close
>> inspection of texdoc's own documentation [1] might obviate this, however.
>
> What do you mean exactly?  I sometimes use
>
>     texdoc -l packagename
>
> do you suggest to use this list for autocompletion?  For most package
> I know the first option, the default one, is also the sensible, so
> prompting for a manual after having given the package argument to
> `TeX-doc' looks often useless to me.

[I erroneously sent this message to Mosè privately. I'm thus resending
it on the ML.]

FWIW I wrote and use
https://github.com/YoungFrog/texdoc.el/blob/master/yf-texdoc.el which
calls texdoc with completion, based on the data found in `kpsewhich
Data.tlpdb.lua` distributed with texlive.

A few remarks (some were raised by Mosè in our private exchange) : it
requires lua to be installed (this could be avoided by using texlua,
included in TL, or by parsing that file in pure elisp) and probably also
requires TL (e.g. I'm not quite sure miktex has the same Data.tlpdb.lua
file) and uses ido (which some will like, but other will prefer another
completion framework).

--
Nicolas