Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 08:37:17 +0100

Caroline Glassberg-Powell <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Caroline,

> I have been recommended to mail the list with a feature request, I
> hope this is the right place.
>
> Currently if file.tex has \cite{ref2} and ref2 does not exist in the
> bib file, it displays no differently to \cite{ref1} which does.
>
> Is it possible to get some sort of visual indication that ref2 does
> not exist in the bib file?  A red squiggly line, highlight, different
> colour, something?

I didn't implement exactly that right now but I slightly changed AUCTeX
error/warning parsing functionality.  So now you can do:

  M-x TeX-toggle-debug-warnings ;; Toggle error debugging on
  C-c C-c LaTeX                 ;; Compile your document
  M-x TeX-error-overview        ;; View an overview of errors/warnings

The latter will present you with a table-like buffer showing all errors
and warnings.  The warnings will also contain undefined references and
citations (see attached screenshot).  So basically, when you search for
"undefined" in that buffer, you'll easily find all undefined citation
and refs with clickable links bringing you to their definition.

That will be in the next ELPA release.  Mosè, do you have any objections
on doing a new ELPA release?  AFAICS, there have been quite some patches
in the last few weeks or months.