Re: [AUCTeX-devel] PATCH: Remove "table" and "table*" from LaTeX-indent-

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] PATCH: Remove "table" and "table*" from LaTeX-indent-environment
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 21:33:49 +0100

Hi Matt,

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed the other day that AucTeX would fill the argument to a
> \caption macro inside the `figure' environment but not the `table'
> environment when using M-q.
>
> I propose the attached patch which removes the `table' and `table*'
> members of the LaTeX-indent-environment alist and allows the \caption
> macro to be filled inside those environments.

I also experienced the impossibility to fill \caption argument, but
never dug into it because it occurred to me few times (indeed I use
few tables) and never thought it was actually tied to the to the
environment it was in!  I installed your patch, good catch!

> I feel this is a
> justified change as all the strange filling logic needs to occur inside
> the `tabular' environment, which is usually enclosed within the `table'
> environments.

I completely agree with your reasoning.  In addition, (La)TeXnically
"figure" and "table" environments are defined in the same exact way,
only the name of the counter set in them is different, so also AUCTeX
should treat them in the same way.

>  Personally I only use the `table' environments for
> setting captions, labels and centering a table.

That's what most people do as well, I think.

Thanks,