Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 15:25:12 +0200

Hi Ikumi,

> Hi AUCTeX developers,
>
> In AUCTeX 11.89, a new option 'TeX-PDF-via-dvips-ps2pdf' was introduced
> as a handy tool for generating pdf output through dvi file as
> intermediate format.  Could you extend this framework so that we can use
> dvipdfmx instead of divps+ps2pdf?

Thanks for your proposal and complete explanation.  I'd be happy to
add the feature you suggest, but having dvipdfmx as an option alongside
dvips+ps2pdf.  In addition, it must be implemented in a different way:
`TeX-PDF-via-dvips-ps2pdf' is supposed to be a boolean variable and is
treated as such throughout current AUCTeX code.

> The attached patch is my initial try along the direction of the above
> idea.  To try this patch, do
>
> (setq TeX-PDF-via-dvips-ps2pdf "Dvipdfmx")
>
> in init.el.  That makes AUCTeX to use dvipdfmx instead of dvips+ps2pdf
> when TeX-PDF-mode is on.
>
> I don't care the detail of the actual implementation, so other
> approaches are welcome.

Ok, I'll need to think about it a little bit.  If you don't get back
from me in about a week feel free to ping me here in the mailing list.