Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:45:31 +0200

Hi Ikumi,

> Hi Mosè,
>
>> please find attached my patch.  There is a new variable
>> (`TeX-PDF-via-dvips-ps2pdf' has a too specific name and is made
>> obsolete, but it's still supported for backward compatibility),
>> `TeX-PDF-from-DVI', which can have the name of the command to run to
>> convert the DVI to PDF or to an intermediate format.  For example, you
>> can set it to "Dvips" for the dvips + ps2pdf sequence, or to
>> "Dvipdfmx" to convert the DVI directly to PDF with dvipdfmx.
>
>> Comments?
>
> It works just fine, great!  It also catches error of dvipdfmx if it
> doesn't go well, and the menu Command->TeXing options->PDF from DVI
> selects the value for TeX-PDF-from-DVI as expeced.
>
> Thank you very much.  This change will make Japanese AUCTeX users to
> handle pdf outputs more easily.  I appreciate your work.

Thanks for the test.  I installed the change, please have a look at
the changes to doc/auctex.texi and report if there are wrong
information about documents written in Japanese.

The new framework can be easily extended to support new converter.
The only weakness I see is that in the case of DVI → PS → PDF
conversion, one can specify "Dvips" as DVI → PS converter, but
"ps2pdf" converter as PS → PDF converter is hard-coded.  Another
possibility could be to make `TeX-PDF-from-DVI' a cons cell, rather
than a string, with the name of the DVI converter as car, and the list
of name(s) of the other converter(s) as cdr.  To anyone reading this,
please tell me if you think this is a better approach to the problem.