Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Using dvipdfmx for the path tex->dvi->pdf
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:06:27 +0900

Hi Mosè,

> Thanks for the test.  I installed the change, please have a look at
> the changes to doc/auctex.texi and report if there are wrong
> information about documents written in Japanese.

Thank you for revising the document.  The part "most documents written
in Japanese are compiled with @command{tex} or @command{latex}" may be a
bit misleading because the command names of Japanese tex engines are not
(la)tex but specific to each engine.  For example, the command names of
ptex engine are p(la)tex.  See the following excerpt from tex-jp.el for
detail:
(setq TeX-engine-alist-builtin
      (append TeX-engine-alist-builtin
             '((ptex "pTeX" "ptex %(kanjiopt)" "platex %(kanjiopt)" "eptex")
               (jtex "jTeX" "jtex" "jlatex" nil)
               (uptex "upTeX" "euptex" "uplatex" "euptex"))))
Instead of spelling out the explicit command names, how about mentioning
that Japanese tex engines currently lack the ability of direct
generation of pdf output?  E.g. "In addition, current Japanese tex
engines cannot generate @acronym{PDF} directly so they rely on
@acronym{DVI} to @acronym{PDF} converters.  Usually @command{dvipdfmx}
command is used."

Bye,