Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Enable directory local variables for japanese-latex-m

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Enable directory local variables for japanese-latex-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:24:01 +0900

Hi Mosè, thanks for your reply.

> Your patch looks good to me.  Another strategy could be to directly
> address the main problem: the use of hard-coded `latex-mode',
> `plain-tex-mode', etc.  We could use in AUCTeX core variables holding
> the actual name of the major modes, e.g. `japanese-latex-mode' or
> `latex-mode'.  However, this alternative strategy may require much
> more work and care than your simple patch.  What do you think?

I agree that the alternative strategy is tedious.  In addition, I'm
afraid that it will be difficult to keep the policy "Use new core
variable and don't use hard-coded mode name in AUCTeX" across a long
period since most of the developers and contributors of AUCTeX
(including the ones who join in the future) have little relation with
Japanese TeX.  (I'm not blaming about that.  I'm sorry if my words sound
offensive.)  It is unrealistic to request all of them to care about
issues specific to Japanese TeX all the time, I think.

Regars,
Ikumi Keita