Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Choosing the default LaTeX environment to be inserted

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Choosing the default LaTeX environment to be inserted [Repost]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 22:59:58 +0200

Hi Dirk,

> Hello,
>
> by accident I have sent this message to the "auctex" mailing list first.
> Therefore I repost it here. Sorry for the noise.
>
> Currently `LaTeX-environment' uses a simple heuristics to determine
> the default ennvironment to insert: If there is only whitespace
> between (bop) and point the default environment is "document".
> otherwise the value of `‘LaTeX-default-environment' is used as default
> environment.
>
> I have tried to make this decision more robust such that "document" is
> also choosen as default environment if there is a mix of
> whitespace-only and comment-only lines before point.

thanks for your contribution, looks good to me.  AUCTeX is GNU project
and requires from contributors assignment of copyright to the FSF in
order to install their patches into the official program.  There is an
exception for changes long less than 15 lines and your patch is close
to the edge of this limit (it adds or changes 15 lines), but I noticed
that if you already contributed a patch for `TeX-current-line' back in
2000, assuming you are the same Dirk Ullrich:

    * 78a2898 (2000-10-09)  Release_9.10s++

This is a very simple one-liner, but in addition to the current
~15-line patch this may exceed the limit.  So, if you're willing to
release you contribution under terms of GPLv3, would you assign your
copyright to FSF?  If so, please fill this form
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future
and follow the instructions in the header

> The Git patch appended is against "master". I've tried my best to
> adhere to the (seemingly) commit message style used in the AUCTeX
> project.

If you use Magit to manage the repository, it's very easy to style
ChangeLog-like commit messages: when you're writing to COMMIT_MSG move
point to the place in magit-diff buffer that you want to describe and
press C.  If you don't use Magit, have a look at "Generating ChangeLog
entries" of
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=blob;f=CONTRIBUTE;hb=HEAD