Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 16:51:18 +0000

>>> "Tassilo" == Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

    > Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
    > Hi Mosè,

    >>> Thereby, I've also converted our ChangeLog.1 to UTF-8 and removed the
    >>> iconv pass from built-aux/gitlog-to-auctexlog because that apparently
    >>> failed for me.  Seems like some recent commit had some non-ISO-8859-1
    >>> encodable character in it (which is ok).
    >>
    >> XEmacs without MULE doesn't support UTF-8 encoding.

    > Given the fact that XEmacs development has been discontinued,

This is not entirely true, still patches, even for the development
branch are sent to Xemacs beta, but alas, the end is in sight.

    > I think we can stop supporting it actively. It's probably too
    > early to remove compatibility code, but I don't think it's worth
    > the trouble to consider XEmacs support for new code at least.

What can I say, I am the last auctec-Xemacs Mohican and even I switched
to 80 % of my time to GNU emacs. And even in the last years, as the
official Xemacs pkg maintainer I have received very little feedback from
Xemacs auctex users (they exist I wounder). In any case, I would like to
thank the auctex team for supporting Xemacs all these years, even
without any active Xemacs developer in the team. I stayed with Xemacs
mostly because of x-symbol but now GNU emacs 25 supports prettifying.

Which brings me to different question, when will 25 official be
released? Because I think the documentation should say something about
prettifying (but again maybe I am the only one who like that feature).

Uwe