Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 18:32:41 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mosè,
>
>>> Thereby, I've also converted our ChangeLog.1 to UTF-8 and removed the
>>> iconv pass from built-aux/gitlog-to-auctexlog because that apparently
>>> failed for me.  Seems like some recent commit had some non-ISO-8859-1
>>> encodable character in it (which is ok).
>>
>> XEmacs without MULE doesn't support UTF-8 encoding.
>
> Given the fact that XEmacs development has been discontinued, I think
> we can stop supporting it actively.

I don't think that it has officially been discontinued.  Technically,
it's likely more active than TeX (The Program) development, and we still
support TeX.

> It's probably too early to remove compatibility code, but I don't
> think it's worth the trouble to consider XEmacs support for new code
> at least.

I agree with that assessment.  The user base of XEmacs consists mainly
of "traditional" users rather than newcomers, and so they will likely
get along with "traditional" versions of TeX supported by their current
AUCTeX installation, if any.

> Well, and in the concrete case, if one character in the ChangeLog
> shows up as \xxx or a box, I don't consider that a drama. :-)

ChangeLog is strictly a developer resource.  No XEmacs developer will be
actively using XEmacs 21.4 no-mule.  Trying to avoid utf-8 here is
nonsensical in my book.

--
David Kastrup