Re: [AUCTeX-devel] bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:59:41 +0200

Hi guys,

currently I have no internet connection at home except for my mobile, but I've read the bug thread now. I'm not exactly sure what's the exact problem. So please excuse my questions.

One problem seems to be that you cannot preload AUCTeX. Right? OK, here I'd say that it is intentional. And loading auctex with a classic non-ELPA install will also not preload it but just configure the autoloads correctly. (I hope I'm right with that. I haven't checked.)

Another problem seems to be that installing AUCTeX from ELPA via use-package does not work because that forcefully does (require '<pkgname>) under the hoods. If that is true, then I'd consider it a bug in use-package. I don't think there is a requirement that a package has a feature named exactly as the package.

But in any case, it would be good if there would be a big fat warning or even error when a user loads auctex manually although it's an ELPA install. And obviously I'd prefer if the relevant code was not specific to the ELPA branch but was shared between that and master.

If I got anything wrong, sorry, please clarify.