Re: [AUCTeX-devel] confusion about phi varphi, latex, input-method TeX,

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] confusion about phi varphi, latex, input-method TeX, prettifying
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:39:20 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Uwe,

>    > Indeed, there's no symbol for \varphi defined in
>    > lisp/textmodes/tex-mode.el (in Emacs).  Please go and add it, and also
>    > switch the unicode symbols appropriately.  Then do M-x report-emacs-bug
>    > and attach you patch there.  Thanks!
>
> I will do, however one simple silly question, I searched in
>   http://unicode.org/charts/ and I am not 100 % sure which unicode
>   symbol I should chose, any suggestions?

Never mind, I just fixed it in Emacs master.  The emacs-25 branch is
frozen, so these changes won't make it into 25.1.

>    > Yes, that's also twisted.  You can fix it in
>    > lisp/leim/quail/latin-ltx.el.  There you'll see that there's
>    > already a FIXME workaround for \sigma/\varsigma which also looked
>    > reversed with the normal generation strategy.
>
> Ok I will do.

Never mind, I fixed that, too, and this one was a bit hairy because the
mappings are auto-generated from unicode data, and that data is wrong
(or well, at least not consistent with TeX).

The same about "won't be in 25.1" obviously applies here, too.