Re: [AUCTeX-devel] glitch in displayed math formatting (\[ ... \])

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] glitch in displayed math formatting (\[ ... \])
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 00:13:07 +0200

Hi Artemio,

> I am using auctex 11.89.5 with Emacs 25.1 rc2 and macOS Sierra (10.12)
> golden master. I’ve noticed the following annoying glitch in formatting
> displayed math in LaTeX. To enter displayed math (with Emacs 22 and auctex
> 11.88), I used to type “\[“, newline, "\]”, and up-arrow, obtaining
> something like
> \[
>
> \]
> (with the cursor positioned in between the opening and closing delimiters).
> On the other hand, now I get
> \[
>
>     \]
> (i.e., with the closing delimiter indented), so that I have to hit the tab
> key every time to make the right delimiter flush with the left one. Is this
> some kind of bug, or am I missing something obvious (like a better way of
> entering displayed math, similar to C-c C-e for environments)?

Yes, you're missing a change introduced in AUCTeX 11.89
(https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Changes):

    Indent ‘\[...\]’ math mode as a regular environment by default.

In order to easily insert \[...\], I'd suggest you to set
`LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace' to t, I find this very useful in
general.