Re: [AUCTeX-devel] glitch in displayed math formatting (\[ ... \])

From: Artemio González López
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] glitch in displayed math formatting (\[ ... \])
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:35:40 +0200

On 11 Sep 2016, at 12:13 AM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Artemio,

I am using auctex 11.89.5 with Emacs 25.1 rc2 and macOS Sierra (10.12)
golden master. I’ve noticed the following annoying glitch in formatting
displayed math in LaTeX. To enter displayed math (with Emacs 22 and auctex
11.88), I used to type “\[“, newline, "\]”, and up-arrow, obtaining
something like
\[

\]
(with the cursor positioned in between the opening and closing delimiters).
On the other hand, now I get
\[

   \]
(i.e., with the closing delimiter indented), so that I have to hit the tab
key every time to make the right delimiter flush with the left one. Is this
some kind of bug, or am I missing something obvious (like a better way of
entering displayed math, similar to C-c C-e for environments)?

Yes, you're missing a change introduced in AUCTeX 11.89
(https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Changes):

   Indent ‘\[...\]’ math mode as a regular environment by default.

In order to easily insert \[...\], I'd suggest you to set
`LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace' to t, I find this very useful in
general.

Thanks a lot, Mosè. LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace works quite well, and in fact I have activated it in my .emacs file.

Artemio

Artemio González-López
Depto. Fisica Teorica II
Universidad Complutense