Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [problems with TeX-arg-ref]

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [problems with TeX-arg-ref]
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:48:00 +0100

Hi Uwe,

>    > Hi Uwe,
>    > 2016-11-14 18:09 GMT+01:00 Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>:
>
>    > Could you please provide a reproducible recipe?
>
> Sure, please find attached my work-in-progress exam.el. Load that file.
> Just in case I attach my reftex setting.
>
> Open the following minimal exam file, which you find attached as well
> Do
> TeX-insert-macro
> titledquestion
>
> And run into the problem I described.
>

>    > No.  You have good forecasting abilities ;-)
>

>    > `TeX-arg-ref' is overtaken by RefTeX, if present (or, to be more
>    > precise, when `reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX' is non nil), so I miss the
>    > point of your suggestion.  `TeX-arg-ref' is just a convenient function
>    > that can be used in AUCTeX for both situations: RefTeX present or not.
>    > In general, in AUCTeX we don't deal directly with RefTeX functions.
>
> Not for me.
>
> I have set this variable to t, however when I use
>
>     '("titledquestion" "Title" ["Points"] TeX-arg-ref)
>
> I experience the behaviour I described, but if I use
>

>     '("titledquestion" "Title" ["Points"] reftex-label)
>

> Everything is fine.

This is funny: you praise how RefTeX is great, you don't like RefTeX's
behavior and blame AUCTeX for it ;-)

You're comparing apples with oranges: `reftex-label' defines a new
label, `TeX-arg-ref' prompts for an already existing label.  What do
you want to accomplish?  Determine what action you want to take
(define a new label?  reference an existing one?), use the appropriate
AUCTeX function, and you're done.  If you use RefTeX, it'll be
actually used.