Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Automatic adding of label to optional argument

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Automatic adding of label to optional argument
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 14:13:13 +0100

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> One thing that occurred to me is `TeX-read-label' adds and empty label,
> i.e. only a prefix like "lst:" to `LaTeX-label-list' -- see below in the
> test doc for an example.

Following up myself, I think I have a solution for this.  Borrowing some
code from RefTeX, `TeX-read-label' can be like this:

(defun TeX-read-label (optional &optional prompt definition)
  "snipped"
  (let (label valid)
    (while (not valid)
      (setq label
            (completing-read
             (TeX-argument-prompt optional prompt "Key")
             (LaTeX-label-list) nil nil TeX-read-label-prefix))
      ;; If we're defining a label, check if it's already defined and
      ;; ask user for confirmation, otherwise ask again
      (cond ((and definition
                  (assoc label (LaTeX-label-list)))
             (ding)
             (when (y-or-n-p
                    (format-message "Label `%s' exists. Use anyway? " label))
               (setq valid t)))
            (t
             (setq valid t))))
    ;; Only add a newly defined label to list of known one if it is
    ;; not empty and not equal to `TeX-read-label-prefix', if given
    (when (and definition
               (not (string-equal "" label))
               (if TeX-read-label-prefix
                   (not (string-equal TeX-read-label-prefix label))
                 t))
      (LaTeX-add-labels label))
    ;; Return label, can be empty string "", TeX-read-label-prefix
    ;; only like "fig:" or the real thing like "fig:foo"
    label))

It works within `TeX-arg-label' and `LaTeX-label' when RefTeX is
disabled.  Any comments welcome.

Best, Arash