Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Defaulting `TeX-parse-self' to t

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Defaulting `TeX-parse-self' to t
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 15:29:11 +0100

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a particular reason why AUCTeX sets `TeX-parse-self' to nil?
> Does this reason still apply or can we default it to t?

Yes, and yes.  AUCTeX is intended to be useful as a system-wide
installed TeX mode.  If you are not actually interested in TeX, having
AUCTeX rifle through whole remote directory hierarchies in the search
for style files and what not is going to be a huge cost you did not ask
for.

> I have the impression that this decision is leading to a new standard
> answer which is "customize latex-verbatim-environments or
> latex-verbatim-environments-local" when somebody asks for "How do I add
> my defined verbatim env to AUCTeX?"  We have many style files and they
> are in a good shape; I think we should move users in a direction that
> they actually use them and get all the benefits.
>
> WDYT?

I think that the AUCTeX manual should start right away with suggesting
to _individually_ enable TeX-parse-self.  Which it does as far as I
remember.

--
David Kastrup