Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:32:09 +0100

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all,

> known compat-issues with some `if' constructs, release a new AUCTeX
> and mark it as the last one which supports XEmacs and focus on
> supporting Emacs.  This might sound harsh, but the future of XEmacs
> seems to be uncertain.  If in some years XEmacs is alive and kicking
> again, we could see how we can support it again and make incompatible
> functions work again.
>
> But for the time being, I don't want to do without many features
> provided by Emacs and not by XEmacs (see above).  The same thing
> applies to older versions of Emacs: I think we should support
> Emacs>=24 as we are trying to move users towards ELPA.

That's pretty much my perspective, and that's the way Gnus and Org went,
too.

I have to confess that I seldomly test my changes on XEmacs especially
since my distro removed the XEmacs binary package and I failed to
compile it from scratch, so I'm probably guilty of several compatibility
issues we have right now.

So doing another release anytime soon where the compat issues Ikumi
found are fixed would be a good thing.  Maybe an even better plan was to
release 11.91 and 12.0 identically in parallel where 11.91 would be the
last XEmacs (and Emacs 21/22/23?) compatible release and 12.0 the normal
(recent Emacsen) release and to create an compat branch.  Then we could
have 11.91.x releases with just compat fixes for XEmacs/old Emacsen but
no new features, and with version 12+ we could start caring about
compatibility only for the last few Emacs releases.

I'm also thinking about maybe closing down our own git repository and
move over to the emacs-elpa repository and do only ELPA releases (after
all, you can do a system-wide installation of an ELPA package which is
the main cause for the standalone release).  Right now, the situation is
not overly problematic but there were times where Stefan Monnier fixed
tons of (mostly byte compilation) issues in auctex on emacs-elpa
(thanks!) and I really had no joy in cherry-picking those changes to our
own repository given that in auctex.git several files are generated
during compilation but are checked in in emacs-elpa.