Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:32:31 +0000

   > Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:
   > Hi all,

   Emacs> =24 as we are trying to move users towards ELPA.

   > That's pretty much my perspective, and that's the way Gnus and Org went,
   > too.

   > I have to confess that I seldomly test my changes on XEmacs especially
   > since my distro removed the XEmacs binary package and I failed to
   > compile it from scratch, so I'm probably guilty of several compatibility
   > issues we have right now.

21.4.X is still in debian/ubuntu, so I presume you don't use one of
them. 21.5.X compiles without much hazzle..

   > So doing another release anytime soon where the compat issues Ikumi
   > found are fixed would be a good thing.  Maybe an even better plan was to
   > release 11.91 and 12.0 identically in parallel where 11.91 would be the
   > last XEmacs (and Emacs 21/22/23?) compatible release and 12.0 the normal
   > (recent Emacsen) release and to create an compat branch.  Then we could
   > have 11.91.x releases with just compat fixes for XEmacs/old Emacsen but
   > no new features, and with version 12+ we could start caring about
   > compatibility only for the last few Emacs releases.

There is no way to talk you that out? I mean why do you want to remove
the compatibility code for the 12+branch? You could just *explicitly*
state that Xemacs compatibility is not guaranteed anymore and the user
could still try to compile auctex and use it at the *own* risk. The user
base is small anyhow.

Uwe