Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 21:17:54 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> There was a long discussion here[1] about using ELPA and how it could
>> hold packages for Emacs in future.  My understanding is that a final
>> decision is not there yet.  But I see some advantages in being on ELPA
>> only.
>
> I think the main topic of that thread is moving packages out of emacs
> core into elpa.

Indeed, true.

> Those packages would now have to handle backwards compatibility issues
> because ELPA packages should at least be compatible with the last
> emacs release whereas a core package can immediately use bleeding-edge
> emacs features.

I think that the outcome of that discussion will be interesting for
other packages as well.  I think if Emacs goes that way, the distinction
between "core" and "other" will vanish and the policy developed will
apply for all packages.  But I think we don't need to be worried about
it right now.

> Yup, but it just occurred to me that we cannot switch to elpa-only in
> the middle-term future because when we have this "compat" branch, we
> still need to compile releases for it.  But nothing of our build
> infrastructure is part of our elpa codebase, and having separate
> branches there is also not really possible AFAIK.

This sounds like a showstopper.

Best, Arash