Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:48:48 +0100

Hi Uwe,

> Hi Mosè,
>
>> Version 11.90 has some incompatibilities with XEmacs, yet no one apart
>> from Keita noticed it (but I didn't get whether he currently uses
>> XEmacs or fires it just for tests).
>
> The latter.  I don't use XEmacs at all except when I test AUCTeX
> compatibility.

You see?  We have *no* XEmacs user reporting bugs (apart from you that
migrated to Emacs), only developers using Emacs that sometimes start
XEmacs just to see if AUCTeX works.  That's fine until we're committed
to support XEmacs, but honestly I don't think that's a fruitful way to
spend our time ;-)  Forcing AUCTeX to be byte-compilable with XEmacs
requires us to use very old syntax and functions (or writing
compatibility functions for the purpose), which makes the code less
maintainable and efficient.

I'd like to use lexical binding in AUCTeX (I should put it in the
very-long term wishlist).  That's impossible if we want to support
XEmacs.  Actually, I fear that dynamic binding is very much wired into
many AUCTeX's internals, so a major work is required anyway.