Re: [AUCTeX-devel] tabelofcontents has a {}

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] tabelofcontents has a {}
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 02:09:02 +0900

Hi Uwe,

>> I never thought about it, but if I use
>> TeX-insert-macro
>> RET
>> tableofcontents
>>
>> \tableofcontents{}
>>
>> Is inserted. What is the use of the brackets {}?
>> It looks to me as there is a tiny bug.

> Most macros without arguments insert a pair of empty brackets.  In
> most cases this does no harm (as in this one, right?).  Only a few
> commands for which the empty group should not be there are instructed
> to not insert it.

This pair of braces is useful in a case like this:
We use \LaTeX{} to render math expression beautifully.
Without the brases, the space between "LaTeX" logo and "to" vanishes.

I personally dislike this braces, so customize `TeX-insert-braces' to
nil.  With this setting, the braces aren't inserted in AUCTeX.

Bye,
Ikumi Keita