Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUCTeX without Desktop Environment

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUCTeX without Desktop Environment
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 18:27:17 +0200

Easior Lars <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

> It's well-known that Evince has direct/inverse research functions with
> the help of AUCTeX in the desktop environment, such as Gnome, Mate,
> KDE, etc. Not long time ago, I installed Qtile, a lightweight window
> manager, instead of Gnome in my Gentoo box. I found that AUCTeX can't
> work well under Qtile. Emacs always complains that
> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (dbus-error "No connection to bus" :session)
> |   dbus-get-unique-name(:session)
> |   TeX-evince-dbus-p("gnome" "evince" :forward)
> |   TeX-view-program-select-evince("gnome" "evince")
> `---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> while any LaTeX source file opened in Emacs. I have no idea about
> how to resolve it. Is it possible to let AUCTeX without desktop
> environment work? Any hint?

First of all, evince and auctex communicate over the session dbus for
forward/backward search.  And apparently your WM without a DE doesn't
start a session bus.

But that can be fixed, I think.  I'm not sure, but wherever you start
qtile (maybe from .xsession or so), you might want to try to start
"dbus-run-session -- qtile" instead.

See https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-run-session.1.html

That would fire up a dbus session and qtile, and then my hope is that
forward/backward search with evince work as usual.