Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [Bug] No install target for latex-flymake

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [Bug] No install target for latex-flymake
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:52:02 +0800

Hello,
** Alex Branham [2018-02-23 09:26:33 -0600]:

> On Fri 23 Feb 2018 at 05:38, Arash Esbati <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> ** Arash Esbati [2018-02-20 21:23:35 +0100]:
>>
>> @Alex: Can you please have look at the patch provided by Vladimir
>> here[1] and advise how to proceed?  Thanks.
>
> The documentation is correct, I think. All users need to do now is to do
> M-x flymake-mode. This patch disables adding the backend that flymake
> needs, so users would need to do (LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend) and then
> (flymake-mode), in that order. That seems annoying to me.

I wouldn't pretend that I understand the Emacs Lisp, esp. these two
lines in 'latex-flymake.el':

  (when (< 25 emacs-major-version)

    (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend))

but I checked that when I run Emacs _with_ these lines in the file I see
that LaTeX-mode-hook (through Customize) contains

  preview-mode-setup
  LaTeX-setup-flymake-backend

and in modeline when I open my LaTeX document I see

  LaTeX/PS

that's why I concluded that documentation is wrong because the hook is
always on.

> Probably a better solution would be to see how this is breaking
> Vladimir's config. What exactly breaks?

The first thing I noticed was that when I typed '$' then Emacs didn't
insert second '$'. It took time to figure out what is going on here (I
use may be very tricky configuration, this is my 'custom' file:
https://bitbucket.org/vp1981/scripts/src/22c5c79e07ef5b61e23cb910324d2a1de9e07108/config/emacs/custom-default.el?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default
) and the only thing I discovered
was that if 'latex-flymake.el' _has_ the above lines then
'LaTeX-mode-hook' has only two hooks (as I described above) but if I
remove that lines then 'LaTeX-mode-hook' has these settings:

  preview-mode-setup
  (lambda nil (define-key TeX-mode-map "^C^T{" 'TeX-insert-braces))
  (lambda nil (define-key LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-a k")
'ebib-insert-bibtex-key))
  (lambda nil (outline-minor-mode 1))
  (lambda nil (TeX-fold-mode 1))
  TeX-source-correlate-mode
  turn-on-reftex
  turn-on-auto-fill
  LaTeX-math-mode
  turn-on-cdlatex

and these, except the first one, correspond to settings in 'custom'
file. In modeline of buffer with LaTeX document I see

  LaTeX/FMPS CDL Ref Outl Fill

>> I suggest we close this thread and reply to Vladimir's message in
>> auctex-devel.
>
> Happy to do so if someone would cc me :-)

I'm appologize to send this message to both auctex and auctex-devel ML
but do that just for reference of the problem mentioned on both ML.

[...]

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.