Re: [AUCTeX-devel] What is the proper way to install auctex as a user?

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] What is the proper way to install auctex as a user?
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 07:53:07 +0800

Hello,
** Alex Branham [2018-03-07 11:26:27 -0600]:

> Hi all -
>
> I'm running into some font-lock issues that I didn't have before
> switching over to building auctex from the git repo. I'm wondering how
> I'm supposed to build and activate auctex. I clone auctex to
> ~/.emacs.d/lib/auctex and then do the following:
>
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> make
>
> Then when I open up a tex file, it works but I run into weird font-lock
> issues. The latest is that occasionally everything after an equation
> environment gets font-latex-math-face.
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?

I would do the following:
1. clone 'bare' git repo like
  $ git clone --mirror URL $HOME/repo/auctex
2. cd to "build" directory:
  $ cd $HOME/build/
3. clone source to this dir:
  $ git clone file:///$HOME/repo/auctex auctex
4. build the package:
  $ cd auctex
  $ ./autogen.sh
  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
  $ make
5. install the package:
  $ make install
6. [optionally] delete the build dir;
7. start fresh Emacs session and check that auctex files under $HOME are
   first in 'load-path'
8. if not, change the '.emacs' file;
9. test the installation by a tex file.

Pro: the 6. item will guarantee that the will be no leftover from
previous build and the build is "clear".

Con: you will have to "manually" update the repo: git fetch --all -p
(may be it is not minimal command, I use that).

Then you can narrow down the source of your trouble and ask more
concrete question.

> Thanks,
> Alex

---