[AUCTeX-devel] Proposal for changes in error overview window management

From: Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Proposal for changes in error overview window management
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:31:57 +0200

Dear all,

I am submitting a proposal for a patch of the current handling of TeX-error-overview windows. Currently this management is very agressive and overrides any strategy the user wishes to set up using display-buffer-alist. Let me show an example:

* I set display-buffer-alist to use popup windows for the error overview.
* I compile the latex and produce an error overview.
* I edit and recompile.
* AucTeX kills the buffer but not the window before compilation
* Compilation proceeds and a *new* window with an error overview is produced.

The patch solves this by using only display-buffer. pop-up-buffer and quit-window (which knows the right strategy to take when a buffer is to be hidden or closed), together with set-window to change context. In current Emacs there is no need to manage frames and windows separately: set-window changes the focus to the right frame.

The patch aims at backward compatibility with TeX-error-overview-setup allowing for 'separate-frame, although I would recommend to discourage this for future releases, as the same functionality can be achieved using display-buffer-alist or any other window manager.

Finally, I would recommend to totally phase-out the use of kill-buffer in later releases.

I have tested this code with Emacs 26 RC1 and seems to work fine. Thechanges, however, are rather standard elisp and result in a cleaner code base, in my modest opinion :-) Indeed, I think one could explore AucTeX for similar improvements in other window management issues.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)