Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Typeset LaTeX files with non-ascii file name in TeXLi

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Typeset LaTeX files with non-ascii file name in TeXLive 2018
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 19:28:16 +0200

>>> "Ikumi" == Ikumi Keita <address@hidden> writes:
Hi,

   > Hi developpers,
   > I'd like to commit a change proposed in
   > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-05/msg00014.html
   > in order to resolve problems addressed in
   > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-05/msg00003.html
   > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-05/msg00004.html
   > .  Are there anyone who doesn't agree with this?

I am not really a developer (besides from trivial style files
contribution), but I am a very heavy auctex user on a daily base.
I am also interested in the issue of non ASCII file names (hebrew)

I am not really sure I understand the implications of your change. Would
it apply for all sort of latex documents or such with non ascii file names?

   > As explained in ealier messages, this patch introduces some
   > incompatibilities:
   > - Users cannot put raw TeX codes in the command line like
   >    latex -interaction=nonstopmode \SOME_CODE \input FILENAME
   >   via setting `TeX-command-extra-options' anymore, as long as the
   >   default `TeX-command-list' is used.
   > - (Pdf)latex binaries without e-TeX extension have the following two
   >   limitations:
   >   1. Preview-latex does not work.  (This can be circumvented by
   >      customizing `preview-LaTeX-command' and
   >      `preview-undump-replacements' to cancel the change by my patch,
   >      though)

Oops that is a heavy one. But if it can be circumvented.
   >   2. Region compilation (C-c C-r, C-c C-e etc.) does not work.

Again this is just for some particular binaries or in general? I am
still with TL 2017.

If it is a breakdown  in general of that feature I am _against_ it.

Region compilation is a feature I rely on very much.

But maybe I misunderstood the implication of your proposed changes.

Uwe Brauer