Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 2018
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 19:44:02 +0900

Hi Jean,

Thanks a lot again, the proposed method works on the command line!  I'll
implement it in the actual preview-latex code.

By the way, if I remember correctly, filenames with multiple contiguous
spaces are not supported by TeX, aren't they?  Standard pdflatex just
fails for such file names:
[bash]$ cp ppp\ qqq.tex aaa\ \ bbb.tex
[bash]$ pdflatex aaa\ \ bbb.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `"aaa bbb.tex"'.
<*> "aaa  bbb.tex"

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name:
So I suppose that it is not necessary for preview-latex to support such
file names.

> In short, in presence of the /AUCTEXINPUT hack, the original space hack
> simply ceases functioning because the space catcode is reset to "ignore"
> too soon (at \everyjob)

> How to fix this ?

> With this new version of ini file

> \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined\else\let\PREVIEWdump\dump\def\dump{%
> \edef\next{{\pdfoutput=\the\pdfoutput\relax\the\everyjob}}%
> \everyjob\next\catcode`\ 10 %
> \catcode`/ 0 %
> \def\AUCTEXINPUT##1{\catcode`/ 12\relax\catcode`\
> 9\relax\input{\detokenize{"##1"}}}%
> \let\dump\PREVIEWdump\dump}\fi\input mylatex.ltx \relax%

> Notice that when ##1 (i.e. the filename) will be grabbed) the / is of
> catcode 0, so ##1 is tokenized accordingly. Which in principle could
> perhaps cause an issue \detokenize{aaa/b23} would give aaa/b<space>123
> but as / is not legal in filenames in contexts I know of, I did not even
> test this anticipation.

> I have also added quotes inside the \detokenize.

> I tested with a file with filename "test mylátex.tex"

> I. Generation of format

> etex -ini "&pdflatex" prv_test_mylátex.ini
> "\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}"
>  "\input{\detokenize{\"test mylátex.tex\"}}"

> where file prv_test_mylátex.ini contains the above contents (from
> \ifx\pdfoutput to \relax%)
> and attention to the added quotes inside the \detokenize argument.

> II. Usage of format

> pdflatex -fmt="prv_test_mylátex.fmt" /AUCTEXINPUT{test mylátex.tex}

> Could you try this out ?

> Best

> Jean-François

Best regards,