Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:21:23 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 13:54, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>    > You should ask your colleague why they're using such an old version :-)
>
> Because I did not bother to upgrade for them (since I switched to GNU
> emacs and everything was fine till now.
>
>    > We can't edit history (this principle is probably even more important
>    > in Mercurial than in git), I'm not sure what you expect us to do.
>
> Oh just some hint in the log message that 11.92 is the last version
> compatible with xemacs: If you wouldn't have told me, I did not know to
> figure that out (besides using google)

Like with any piece of Emacs, you check the included Info manual.  In
particular, you look in the respective "News" or "Changes" section in
the respective manual.

(info "(AUCTeX) Changes")

[...]

News in 12.1
------------

   * AUCTeX now requires GNU Emacs 24 or higher.  Support for XEmacs has
     been dropped.

   * Besides the change in the supported version of Emacs, there has
     been no functional change in this release, which is equivalent to
     version 11.92.

Commit messages are _absolutely_ not the place for collecting
release-relevant information.  They are supposed to describe the
particular changes affected by a particular commit, not changes by some
unspecific series of commits preceding it.

--
David Kastrup