Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex (was Re: Type

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex (was Re: Typeset LaTeX files with non-ascii file name in TeXLive 2018)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:48:52 +0200

Hi Keita

Le 06/10/2019 à 17:43, Ikumi Keita a écrit :
Hi all,

It seems that the latest TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex.  I
quote a failure log of the latest pdflatex and a successful log of the
pdflatex with the latest update reverted, at the last of this message.

At first, I thought that it is only related with non-ascii file names,
but it turned out to be not so.  Just a plain file name of "abc.tex"
fails with the same error.

Is this common for others?  If so, I suspect that the change in the
internal of latex invalidated "\detokenize" that preview-latex uses to
input files with non-ascii names successfully.

I haven't tested other engines (xelatex and lualatex).

I'm afraid that we have to delay the release of AUCTeX 12.2, due to this
problem.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita

The latest LaTeX \input allows spaces in filenames. We see that preview-latex
invocation is with added spaces at both ends of the filename. It can
be confirmed with quick testing that \input{ abc.tex } used to work
but now does not.

Do you remember why the extra spaces added for preview-latex invocation?

If the problem is more complex (if one wanted to remove the
\detokenize for example but very brief testing shows it is not
the problem although it is now -- again -- unneeded) and the LaTeX version
needs to be tested, then this can be done with this kind of code

\@ifl@t@r\fmtversion{2019/10/01}{TRUE}{FALSE}

(which requires \makeatletter or
\csname @ifl@t@r\endcsname syntax)

Best,