Re: XEmacs code remainder in font-latex.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: XEmacs code remainder in font-latex.el
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 00:56:44 +0100

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> when building AUCTeX, the compiler complains about:
>
>     In end of data:
>     font-latex.el:2239:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
>         defined: face-property-instance, set-face-property
>
> Looking at the code, they are in `font-latex-setup':
>
>     (defun font-latex-setup ()
>       "Setup this buffer for LaTeX font-lock.  Usually called from a hook."
>       (font-latex-set-syntactic-keywords)
>       ;; Trickery to make $$ fontification be in `font-latex-math-face' while
>       ;; strings get whatever `font-lock-string-face' has been set to.
>       (when (fboundp 'built-in-face-specifiers)
>         ;; Cool patch from Christoph Wedler...
>         (let (instance)
>           (mapc (lambda (property)
>                   (setq instance
>                         (face-property-instance 'font-latex-math-face property
>                                                 nil 0 t))
>                   (if (numberp instance)
>                       (setq instance
>                             (face-property-instance 'default property nil 0)))
>                   (or (numberp instance)
>                       (set-face-property 'font-lock-string-face property
>                                          instance (current-buffer))))
>                 (built-in-face-specifiers))))
>
> I'm not sure but the entire (when (fboundp 'built-in-face-specifiers)
> clause is XEmacs related, right?  Can someone with XEmacs installed on
> HD confirm?  Then we can remove it.

Christoph Wedler is the author of X-Symbol which was primarily XEmacs
based (though the latest versions supported Emacs, but certainly later
than this code was written).  The whole specifier/instance folderol is
XEmacs specific.  Git blame assigns this to version 9.8g in 1997
(apparently not yet under version control, commits are per release) and
a Changelog entry

+Mon Oct 20 10:15:42 1997  Peter S Galbraith  <address@hidden>
+
+       * font-latex.el: Updated to V0.504 (Oct 20 97)
+
+       * bib-cite.el: Updated to 3.04 (Aug 25 97)
+
+       * hilit-LaTeX.el: Updated to V1.17 (Sep 06 95)

At this date, Emacs did not yet have its Emacs 21 display engine
released unless I am mistaken.

So pretty sure that in the context of XEmacs non-support this code
should be fine to remove.

--
David Kastrup