Re: TeX-remove-style-hook is local

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: TeX-remove-style-hook is local
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 12:58:27 +0900

Hi Stefan,

> My understanding is that the intention is to add the function on the
> global part of the hook, which is what the patch below does.
> If the intention is to add it buffer-locally, then the code will need to
> be restructured since the `add-hook` currently runs only when loading
> AUCTeX and not when enabling the mode.

I agree, by the following reasons, that it's appropriate to delete the
`make-variable-buffer-local' as you proposed:

Since AUCTeX run `TeX-auto-add-type' only once per an information type,
`add-hook' in this macro should operate on the global value of
`TeX-remove-style-hook'.

There is another instance of `add-hook' on `TeX-remove-style-hook' in
the form
(add-hook 'TeX-remove-style-hook
          (lambda () (setq LaTeX-largest-level nil)))
in latex.el at its top level. I also think that this `add-hook' should
operate on the global value of `TeX-remove-style-hook'. Thus it looks
apparently wrong to apply `make-variable-buffer-local' to it.

How do others on auctex-dev list think?

> AFAICT, `TeX-auto-add-type` is a macro that's run exclusively at the
> top-level of some of AUCTeX's files (context.el, tex.el, and latex.el),

This isn't correct actually, though it isn't important under the current
context. Many files among style/*.el add their own information types by
this macro.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita