Re: TeX-remove-style-hook is local

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: TeX-remove-style-hook is local
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 23:29:08 +0200

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> If TeX-auto-save is nil (default value), auto subdirectory isn't
> created at normal save (C-x C-s).  So creating it unconditionally
> would be unexpected behavior for people who doesn't enable
> TeX-auto-save intentionally.

`TeX-normal-mode' has always saved the auto files, it explicitly
let-binds TeX-auto-save to t.  I wonder if users that don't use
TeX-auto-save also never use C-x C-n or if the auto files actually don't
bother them.

I sometimes feel like TeX-auto-save and TeX-parse-self could possibly be
removed including all code that runs when one of them was nil.

>> If it isn't, we could remove `TeX-remove-style-hook' and
>> `TeX-remove-style' completely since TeX-normal-mode (or rather
>> normal-mode) kills all local variables anyway.
>
> That would be a reasonable solution. It doesn't seem that remove-style
> facility is a useful feature.

Indeed.  Maybe we could arrange that TeX-auto-write/store in the case of
(null TeX-auto-save) don't create the auto directory and save the
auto/mydoc.el file but just keep the buffer that's going to be written
to mydoc.el.  Then TeX-load-style could be changed that it also looks
for that buffer instead only for the file.