Re: TeX-master and TeX-output-master

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: TeX-master and TeX-output-master
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 07:39:18 +0100

Dear Tohiko

    > Hello, I usually compile my latex files with pdflatex and use the
    > argument `--output-directory` to have all output files saved
    > inside a hidden `build` subdirectory (I also have a command to
    > copy out the pdf output or attach it in an email... etc).  This
    > clearly breaks auctex, because the master tex file is in a
    > different directory from the required output files (log, aux and
    > pdf).

    > At the moment, I hacked together a solution by advising the
    > function TeX-master-file to return a fake master which is inside
    > my output directory. This works most of the time, but I did have
    > to rewrite functions which require the correct path to the tex
    > master file (like `TeX-synctex-output-page`).

    > I was wondering if there's interest in extending auctex to have
    > two properties: TeX-master and TeX-output-master. Then the correct
    > master of the two is used in the hundred places or so in auctex
    > where TeX-master-file is currently always used.

    > -- Tohiko

Sorry Tohiko, but I for one do not see any advantage of further
complicating the procedure of using a master file. Such an addition
might be suitable for your workflow, but it wouldn't be for mine.

Would it not be prudent first to wait for input from other users in
order to gauge whether anyone else wants this addition?

Best wishes,

--
Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8