Re: Output filenames and the inconsistency of the `file` variable

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Output filenames and the inconsistency of the `file` variable
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:01:43 +0900

Hi Al,

> To start with, I think the first change is to ensure that the variable
> `file` (or the lexically-scoped alternative) is not used as a string.
> Since this is an internal variable, I think user config is not an
> issue.

In my humble opinion, it's a bit dangerous to presume so. In general, a
user can have an entry in TeX-view-program-list like
("XYZ" my-TeX-view-open-XYZ)
where the second symbol is one's own elisp function. If that function
assumes that the variable `file' has string value, your proposal would
cause error.

Thus I think the problem is more delicate than its appearance.

How about using functionp test or stringp test on the value of `file'
for the changes in TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view and TeX-evince-sync-view-1?
That would be rather safe way although there still remains doubled
identity, function name and string, of the variable `file'...

Another possible idea is to stop relying on dynamic scope variable
`file' and just to call TeX-active-master in TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view and
TeX-evince-sync-view-1. My understanding is that TeX-active-master
serves for such purposes for most cases.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita