Re: Onwards to lexical binding (attempt 1)

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Onwards to lexical binding (attempt 1)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 03:16:57 +0900

Hi Arash and Tassilo,

> I used the branch today to write a .tex file and when hitting `C-c C-v'
> to view the result, I get:

>     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)

[...]

> This happens when I set `TeX-view-program-selection' which looks like
> this in my init file:

>     (setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "SumatraPDF")
>                                        (output-dvi "dviout")))

> When commented out, AUCTeX uses the the default `start' entry on Windows
> which works.  Can others reproduce this?

Confirmed. Similar error occurs when I turn off TeX-PDF-mode and try to
invoke xdvi for "View" command.

When "View" command is issued, TeX-command-expand calls
TeX-view-command-raw, which in turn calls TeX-command-expand with the
second argument being nil. This second call of TeX-command-expand
overwrites the dynamic scope variable TeX-file-fn with wrong value, so
the error occurs after emacs continues the execution of the first
TeX-command-expand.

Attached is a conceptual patch to fix the problem. I think that the
second argument of TeX-command-expand is no longer necessary, thanks to
the fine utility TeX-active-master.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita