Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 08:32:38 +0200

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Since I have no clue what your directory structure is, I have no clue.
> But customizing both TeX-style-{global,private} *and* TeX-style-path is
> strange given that the latter's default value is built from the former.

> Why setting any of them?  Why is ~/.emacs.d/auctex/style not fine for
> private styles?  If I had some, I'd probably keep them in
> ~/Repos/my-auctex-styles/ and simply use a symlink
> ~/.emacs.d/auctex/style -> ~/Repos/my-auctex-styles/.

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the path setting,
TeX-style-private.

    1. First I use customize for the setting not setq or add-to-list.

    2. I now recall that I tried out several settings and none of them
       worked save the one I use currently.

       a. If I don't set TeX-style-global (and restart emacs), then per default
it is set to
          Original value was
          "/home/oub/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/style"
          I could set a link, as you propose but I find links messy, and
          don't see why I just can't set it to
              "/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git/auctex/style"
          Otherwise don't make it user configurable.
          Be it as it may, even with the default setting, of
          TeX-style-private is *ignored*

       b. If I don't set TeX-style-path, then the default is
          Its value is ("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
          "/home/oub/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/style"
          "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
          "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style") and, again,
          TeX-style-private is *ignored*.

    3. The only solution to my problem is to set
        '(TeX-style-path
        '("/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git/auctex/style"
        "auto" "style"
       /home/oub/ALLES/emacs/site-lisp/auctex-private-style" ))

       But then, why is TeX-style-private needed?

I'd love to find the source of the problem, if you tell me how to debug
this.

Regards

Uwe