Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 09:49:47 +0200

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@yandex.ru> writes:
>>> Its value is ("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
>>> "/home/oub/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/style"
>>> "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
>>> "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style") and, again,
>>> TeX-style-private is *ignored*.
>>
>> I only set 'TeX-auto-private' and 'TeX-style-private' and all seems to
>> work fine. I suspect that you "overconfigured" your Emacs and
>> AUCTeX.

> Those paths like ~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/... strongly suggest that
> Uwe has both an (outdated) auctex-12.2.0 ELPA install *and* a Git master
> install.  That's asking for troubles.

>>> I'd love to find the source of the problem, if you tell me how to
>>> debug this.
>>
>> With Emacs I think (this is my experience) that the only way to
>> "debug" is to start from bare configuration and adding one thing after
>> the other.

> Probably `M-x list-load-path-shadows RET' will show more conflicts
> between the ELPA and manual install.

Ah, ok that might help

> Uwe, IMHO, I'd rather just use the auctex ELPA package.  That has the
> least amount of configuration needs (basically zero).

The point is right now, I am using Al Haji Ali's patch for output-dir
which keeps my latex directories tidy and clutter free. This patch is
for commit 087b0300012d14cc
on top of that I also have venndiagram.el that I want to test a bit more
before sending it to the list.

> If that's not what you want, then remove the ELPA auctex package (M-x
> package-delete RET auctex<tab> RET) and try my "run auctex directly
> from the checkout configuration without make install".

That is true will remove the ELPA package and restart emacs.
I can live for the moment with configuring
TeX-style-path

I see what happens once I uninstall the ELPA package.

Oops and here it goes, I recall now that this I tried once, and the
following trouble prevented me for doing this
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Package ‘auctex-12.2.0’ is used by
‘texfrag’ as de...")

  signal(error ("Package ‘auctex-12.2.0’ is used by ‘texfrag’ as
  de...")) error("Package `%s' is used by `%s' as dependency, not de..."

Ah package systems...

Thanks

Uwe