Gazillions of warnings waiting to be fixed

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Gazillions of warnings waiting to be fixed
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 18:47:49 +0100

Hi all,

I've had a conversation with Mattias EngdegÄrd and he made me aware that
auctex has far more warnings as we (or at least I) were thinking.

Basically, running just make will compile all our lisp files in one go
which shadows many warnings because all (forward) declarations contained
in a file earlier on the command line has an impact when compiling files
coming later on the command line.

With "rm **.el && make some" every file is compiled one after the other,
and then we have gazillions of warnings.

I also added a new dynvars-check rule which does some new experimental
cross-file checking and emits even more warnings.

Most of the warnings are low-hanging fruits which we should fix in order
to spot actual issues somewhere in between.  For example, most of our
styles just need to require tex and latex in order to fix all warnings.

One frequently occurring problem is that in a file like latex.el many
defvars/defcustoms are used before they are declared.  That's mostly the
case because the file is structured into sections devoted to certain
topics like indentation or sectioning but a function in the indentation
topic might access a variable of the sectioning topic (which comes later
in the file).  So either we add forward declarations or actually move
the declarations.  Not sure what's better...