Re: Slash at the end of directory (was Re: oddity with TeX-style-private

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Slash at the end of directory (was Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 20:38:59 +0100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Actually I find non fast-forward merges much easier to understand than
>>> fast-forward one. ;-)
>
>> That's nonsensical since any non fast-forward commit consists of the
>> combination of fast-forwarding (direct) commits with a subsequent merge
>> commit of two branches with diverging history.  Rebased commits, in
>> contrast, are just what would have resulted from linear development.
>
> I know and that is why I don't like rebasing.
>
>> It may be easier on the developer, but certainly not on the reader.
>
> That might be so, but I think it is just a different philosophy. I'd
> prefer to know where a commit comes from (I mean from which branch), and
> that is why I find linearising (that is rebasing) confusing to say the
> least.

To me it looks like you are confusing the development of a feature with
long-running parallel branches.  For the latter, there is no point in
rebasing.  For the former, there is no point in identifying a branch
that isn't in any manner reflecting anything but an arbitrary point of
departure before development of a feature has finished.

Rebasing does not provide a historical record.  Its point is to convey a
logical sequence of changes rather than a diary.  For figuring out where
and when and why something went right or wrong, that tends to be
considerably more accessible.

--
David Kastrup