Re: [BUILD] emacs-git fails to byte-compile style/empheq.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [BUILD] emacs-git fails to byte-compile style/empheq.el
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 22:11:07 +0100

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@yandex.ru> writes:

Hi Vladimir,

> I'm using Emacs from git (currently compiled from commit 3e6eccc175)
> and trying to compile auctex (actually, to build package for my
> distribution, Archlinux) but the compilation stops on empheq.el with
> error:

> In LaTeX-empheq-env:
> style/empheq.el:193:30: Error: symbol-value cannot use lexical var ‘amsenv’
> make: *** [Makefile:223: lisp] Error 1

Indeed, the Emacs 28 byte-compiler recently got some new checks catching
such erroneous usages.  I've fixed it and wonder why `symbol-value' has
ever be used in this context.  Arash, do you know?  That code was this
way since you've added that style in 2016.

> P.S. Besides this there are many 'Warning's about obsoletenes of
> 'easy-menu-{add,remove}' suggesting to use 'ignore' instead. I don't
> understand them but right now it doesn't prevent compilation.

I didn't at first too, but then I read the docs (C-h f easy-menu-add).

Add the menu to the menubar.
On Emacs this is a nop, because menus are already automatically
activated when the corresponding keymap is activated.  On XEmacs
this is needed to actually add the menu to the current menubar.

So it seems like we can remove all those easy-menu-add/remove calls
since we've stopped supporting XEmacs.