Modernize some defaults?

From: yarnton
Subject: Modernize some defaults?
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 20:14:18 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on emacs-devel about modernizing some
defaults to make Emacs a bit more friendly and popular. Along with other users,
I am going through some variables that we think might be worth to consider
changing to more modern default values.

We understand that some variables might be there for non-obvious reasons [1].
Others might be hard to change to friendlier defaults because many user
configurations depend on them. And that is fine. They should be kept like they
are. We  do not want to turn Emacs packages into bloated software with too many
features turned on by default.

In case of AUCTeX, I have a little list, which might be contentious, but the
whole point is just to initiate a discussion:

- TeX-parse-self and TeX-auto-save: Most users set these to t. Without parsing
on load and save, AUCTeX doesn't work as expected. On the one hand, the manual
recommends manual parsing by C-c C-n and explicitly states: "This isoften the
best choice, as you will be able to decide when it isnecessary to reparse the
file". On the other hand, the first page of the manual suggests changing these
defaults: "If you want to make AUCTeX aware of style files and
multi-filedocuments right away, insert the following [...]".

Which option should be preferred? If manual parsing is more advisable, C-c C-n
should perhaps get featured more prominently (in the first page?) of the manual
as well?

- TeX-view-program-selection: In Linux, this defaults to Evince. Evince is not
available in all Linux installations. DocView has been built into Emacs for the
last few years. Perhaps it is better to default to it? I realize DocView lacks
SyncTeX support. Perhaps it is worthwhile to autodetect pdf-tools?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton's_fence

Best wishes.