Re: Loading AUCTeX out of Git repo

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Loading AUCTeX out of Git repo
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 21:38:50 +0100

Hi Arash & Uwe,

>> this topic has been discussed couple of times and I think we should
>> add a recipe to the manual.  My suggestion looks like this, any
>> comments welcome:

LGTM.

> I do compile auctex regularly from git master.
>
> What's against the idea to run
>
>  make install ????
>
> I find it a bit cleaner to separate the repository from the
> installation.

I find it a bit more convenient to run directly from the checkout in
order to be sure to run the most current version (or the version I've
explicitly checked out).  With "make install", you are running the
version of the last "make install", without "make install" you are
running the version of the last "git pull".